Thursday, August 9, 2012

Rain, Rain you can stay! I think I’m going to bake today.

This is how this day started and it kept up most of the day.


 


The temperature dropped to the low eighties not that cool but better than the nighties.  Looks like the perfect time to crank up the oven.

The secret to staying on any new way of eating is variety. 

I love to cook and come up with new and exciting things.  Since I have begun this new way of eating I find my creative juices are stirring.  I have some ideas and I decided this would be the perfect day to test out some of those recipes.

This is what I made today,


Pulp Crackers and Pulp Muffins both quite tasty.  They were easy and quick to make.  I do not use salt so you might want to add a pinch to the cracker and muffin recipes.  If you are eating butter and jams I am sure that will taste great on the muffins but I am off sugar.




Recipes will be at the end.  Let's get started!


This is what I used for the Pulp Crackers

 

 
Pulp from Carrots, Celery, Brussels Sprouts, Parsley, Beet and Beet Greens, Ginger, Radish, Orange, Pineapple, and Red Grapes.

 



     Place chia seeds, coriander, curry, five spice, red pepper flakes, paprika, black pepper, sunflower seeds and flax seeds in fry pan and toast for about 30 seconds.


Spread out evenly, about 1/4 inch and cut to desired size.
 
 
TaDa Pulp Crackers

Pulp Mini Muffins

 
 Muffins sitting on my Limoge', I feel so, Out of Africa!
 
 
Soft and Chewy and full good things.
 
Another view of the crackers.
 
 
Mighty good with a cup of Rooibos Provence Herbal Tea !
 
 

Help Yourself


Recipes:

My Pulp Crackers

Ingredients:
2 cups juice pulp, tightly packed

1/2 cup chia seed
2 tsps. ground coriander
1 tsps. Curry powder
1 tsps. Five spice powder
1 tsps. Red pepper flakes
2 tsps. Paprika
1/3 cup sunflower seeds
2 tbsps. Flax seeds
Black pepper to taste
2 tbsps.  Soy Sauce
1/3-1/2 cup water
Instructions:
1.      Place chia seeds, coriander, curry, five spice, red pepper flakes, paprika, black pepper, sunflower seeds and flax seeds in fry pan and toast for about 30 seconds
2.      In a food processor add the pulp and the toasted spices. Pulse to combine well.
3.      Add the soy sauce then and a little water at a time until it is combined into a smooth paste like mixture. You want your mixture to be thick and sticky, but spreadable.  How much water will depend on the wetness of the pulp.
4.      Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the mixture onto it evenly.  I put a big dollop of mixture in the center of the baking sheet and smooth it down with a spachelor.  Next, I cover the sheet with a piece of aluminum fold and use something to roll it out evenly, about 1/4 inch.  Bake at 350 degrees until crispy. It takes about an hour.  I needed to sheet pans.  Makes about 24-30 depending how you cut them.

Pulp Muffins


Ingredients:
2 C Juicer Pulp
½ C. Unsweetened Applesauce
1 ½ C. Quinoa Flour Gluten Free
2 Tsps. Baking Soda
½ C Nuts chopped (your choice)
¼ Raisins
Instructions:
1.      Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Spray of lightly grease muffin pan.  I used a mini muffin pan.

2.     In a food processor add the pulp and applesauce.  Pulse to combine.

3.     Add in flour, baking soda.  Pulse until just combined,  The batter will be very thick.  Add nuts and raisins and stir by hand to combine.

4.     Transfer the batter to the mini muffin pan and bake for 20-25 minutes.  A knife inserted in the center should some out clean when they’re done.
These muffins do not rise much, so fill to the top.  They are very most and chewy.  Delicious!!


Hope you enjoyed the rainy day project.  I had a wonderful day.  Maybe tomorrow I get to the housework!

 

Juice and Be Well!

 


 

 




2 comments:

  1. Thanks! I'd like to try both of them.

    I've been hearing about using date sugar (ground up dates) as a whole-food sweetener. Have you tried it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't use it. But I have put regular dates in my green smoothies. I wonder how they keep it from sticking together? I do eat a few raisins in some foods like salads and a whole grain dish that I make. Not craving the sweets. Which is a amazing, because to me cake was a food group.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. Your input is greatly appreciated.