Saturday, June 30, 2012


After leaving Big Thicket, I headed North toward Lufkin, Texas.

I arrived at the Cherokee Trace Park in Jacksonville Texas a little after 1:00 P.M.  The sun was out in full force so I started wondering just how many animals would be out for viewing.    As I entered the gates to this 300 acre preserve, I was met by a small gathering of deer.  Although, the park gives you a couple of laminated sheets with the names of the park animals, I couldn’t tell if they were White tail Deer or something else.   It didn’t matter to me what they were, I just have fun watching and feeding them.

This place is so big.  It has small hills and big open savannahs.

 You drive at your our pace, keeping under 10 MPH.   The admission is a day pass so you can come at different times during the day.  You are issued a large bag of pellets to feed the animals.  You can buy addition bags for $3.00. There are rules you must follow; do not get out your car for any reason (good idea) and throw feed on the ground do not try to hand feed.  There all have big teeth.  The girl at the counter told me make sure you windows are up if they start getting close because they will stick their heads in the car and take anything they can find.   People have lost glasses, purses, your bag of feed, maps, clothes, everything.

It surprises me how many animals were out.

Most of them rested under the trees and when you would approach they would get up and come for the feed.  Although, some of the larger and maybe the older ones would just sit and look at you and not get up, too hot to move, I guess.   Not were aggressive but some used the, I’ll block the car and you go get her to throw out some food, method.   Here is the link for the Cherokee Trace Park,  The drive through the park was so relaxing just what I needed.  This was the major change of scenery I’ve needed.   I took many photos hope you enjoy them. 

Can you tell what kind of bird is in this tree?

 It’s a Roadrunner.  Right in front of my car I spotted this bird running to beat the band.  I stopped the car and readied my camera.  He flew into the tree right in front of me.  He was a kind enough for me to wait until I repositioned my car so I could get these shots.  After about 6-7 minutes he flew off across the open field and landed behind a fence.  He then started to run across that field.  Boy, they are fast.

Since, my computer was kaput.  

I bought a map of Texas and Louisiana so I could figure out a way not to go through Baton Rouge on the way home.   My luck was running good this day because when I left the park I was in spitting distance of Hwy 84, El Camino, and the East/West Corridor.  Deciding this would take me into Louisiana and eventually, Natchez, Mississippi, where I could cross the Mississippi River.  Goodbye Baton Rouge!  I could intersect with I-55 and that would lead to I-12 and home.

There was still had plenty of daylight, so I started to head East.

Crossing over the Sabine Rive at the Texas - Louisiana state line was the town of Logansport.   Don’t know how I miss this town since I have been all over Louisiana, it was a treat and full of history.  Just over the bridge to the left was this beautiful riverfront park.  In March they hold a Sand Bass Tournament.  The prize for the first place team in March 2011 was $10,000.00. Not a bad day of fishing, if you ask me.  Logansport is a place I would like to spend some time.  I think I will go back when the weather cools down.

Photos of Logansport, Louisiana enjoy.
Couldn't have planned a better mini vacation.  

Have a great and safe 4th  of July.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. Your input is greatly appreciated.